For Immediate Release —
For weeks, the grassroots campaign to defeat Issue 64 and overturn the ordinance that closed Lakewood Hospital has been working feverishly. Since August we’ve reached out to Lakewood’s 36,717 registered voters, from office space shared with the new Cuyahoga County Progressive Caucus at 11910 Detroit Avenue. We’ve canvassed the city door to door, speaking one-on-one with citizens. We’ve built websites, blogged, produced and mailed literature and spent hundreds of hours making calls. Our signs have sprouted in yards and storefronts throughout the city, and outnumber the opposition’s. We’ve been active in social media, reaching voters on Twitter and Facebook.
We invite you to drop by for an inside look at one of the most enthusiastic campaigns in this election season. We are open today and Sunday, 10 AM to 6 PM; Monday, Noon to 8 PM; Tuesday, 6:30 AM to 7:30 PM. Feel free to stop in for interviews and video.
We have pursued every path to reach Lakewood’s registered voters and will continue our campaign until the polls close Tuesday evening.
Our key points remain the same.
- The Cleveland Clinic purchased our community owned hospital for pennies on the dollar, acquiring more than $100 million in assets for a mere $9.6 million. This was a steal for the Clinic and a rip-off for the citizens of Lakewood.
- There was no open bidding process for the hospital. Instead, unethical bid-steering gave the Clinic an inside path to this lopsided deal.
- There is no guarantee that the Clinic will maintain emergency services in Lakewood. They can pull out of Lakewood at any time.
- The building that housed Lakewood Hospital still stands, and when a majority votes against Issue 64’s noncompete clause, the facility can be made available to healthcare operators throughout the country.
- Lakewood Hospital was profitable until it was purposefully run down by the Clinic, and finally showed a loss only in 2015.
Please contact us to let us know when you’d like to drop in. We look forward to seeing you!
For questions and comments, our contact information is below.
Save Lakewood Hospital